Friday, January 16, 2009

Blueberry Muffins

The food market near our house had little packs of blueberries on sale for $.99 so I bought one with blueberry muffins in mind. I have never (I know) made homemade muffins (the box mix was always cheaper) so I was excited and anxious. I decided to use a recipe I wrote down almost 3 years ago from one of Candace’s children cooking books.

AND… I have NEVER tasted such wonderfully warm, fruit-bursting, buttery goodness in a muffin of such simplicity (I ate 4…shhh). You HAVE to try it.

Blueberry Muffins (makes 12)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups flour
1/2 cup + 2 tsp white sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
3/4 tsp vanilla
1 cup blueberries (or the whole 6oz container); rinsed and drained

Melt butter and set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 370 degrees and line a muffin tin.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the milk, egg and vanilla.
Add the milk mixture, melted butter and blueberries to the flour mixture and stir gently, just until blended.
Spoon evenly into muffin cups (they will be really full) and sprinkle the remaining sugar over the tops.
Bake until golden brown or 18-20 minutes.

Last night we went back to the food market and I bought 8 more little packs AND they were only $.69 this time!!! I quality checked each berry, rinsed and froze them so I can make these whenever I feel the need for deliciousness.

Let me know if you try it and how they turned out for you.

-Ooh, I need to buy eggs…

2 comments:

the fellers said...

oh those sound so good, but dang it, I dont like blueberries, like at all, can I substitute the blueberries for another fruit? I LOVE muffins, especially fruit muffins!

Joseph Tateoka said...

Alison and I tried the muffin recipe that you posted and we loved them! They were so delicious that we had to refrain from eating more then two a piece. We'll save the other eight for tomorrow's breakfast and dessert after tomorrow's dinner. Thanks for sharing this great recipe and long live Morse Market and their $0.69 blueberries!