Saturday, February 07, 2009

A 24hr+ trip to the hospital

Yes, I had to go to the hospital yesterday and to stop you from fretting... everything seems to be ok for now. Details below...

After I woke up I had some really bad back pain and then some really bad cramps. I took a shower and laid back down to try to get them to go away so I could go into work but after awhile I was thinking something was wrong and Brandt told me to call the doctor. I did and when she finally called me back she told me to go to the hospital right away. My awesome neighbor Catherine took Brandt and I. Brandt had gotten home from work at 2am that morning by the way.

We had to wait for what seemed like an hour and probably was before they took me to triage. I was VERY uncomfortable sitting there waiting. They did about 10 tests trying to figure out if it was kidney stones to the placenta tearing away. I won't go into details because dudes read this but I'll say some bad stuff was happening that shouldn't have been but luckily our little girl was moving and her heartbeat was just fine. I got put on an IV and they admitted me for observation for 24 hours.

They poked me and prodded me and gave me steroid shots in case I went into labor so her lungs would develop a little more. Luckily we are not parents yet. She still has 91 days left in my oven before being perfectly ripe. Brandt eventually went back to work because he had a lot to do and nothing was really going on at that point. The pain had mostly stopped. I just laid there and WATCHED CABLE!!!!

Later that night they finally let me eat dinner (about 6pm). That was the first meal I had eaten and was getting pretty angry that they wouldn't let me eat or drink. They didn't let me eat in case I had to go into surgery and one of the monitors showed that I was having contractions (which I only slightly felt) but I was STARVING. Every food commercial looked so delicious I wanted to go to there. Even the Kashi dried fruit granola bars looked heavenly and I really don't like raisins.

My Aussie co-worker came in to visit me and make sure I was okay, I watched more TV and then fell asleep about 10pm after saying goodnight to Brandt over the phone. The plan was that he would just go home so he could sleep good and I'd call him in the morning. About 12:30am I woke up to a noise (I slept awful by the way) and it was him. He had decided that he didn't want to leave me there all by myself so he brought some stuff from home for the both of us and set up a bed next to mine. I was really glad to see him. I was REALLY glad to see him actually, it was lonely and scary all by myself.

The nurses came in about every hour to fix the baby's heart monitor and kept asking me about contractions that I was still having. I only felt a few so that was good.

I have to say the worst part about being there was the steroid shots (SOOOO painful) and getting up to go to the bathroom. I had to get out of bed, unplug the IV thingy from the wall, unhook the heart monitors and drape them over my neck, walk to the bathroom pushing the IV thingy and sort out all the cords from my annoying gown to use the bathroom. I was glad to get to leave today after lunch. It's good to be home and the shower I took was definitely in my top 3. It felt so nice to have warm water over all the holes they put in me.

The baby looks great (pics below) and they don't know what was wrong with me (like always) but I'm "stabilized" and they told me to come back if any of the symptoms come back. Hopefully they won't and I'll go back in May to bring her into the world but that's what crossed fingers and prayers are for.

Our acrobat at 27 weeks:



I still smell like hospital...

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

She's beautiful. You seriously need to take it easy. What a scare.

the fellers said...

I am so glad everything is ok, I will pray for you that things stay this way for the next 13 weeks! Well, i can try and pull some strings and see if it will only be like 11 weeks....so you dont get so uncomfortable!
I love your, "I want to go to there!"
haha

Kristen said...

CB - I'm so happy you're ok!! I've been very worried about you. Keep taking it easy. I'll keep praying.

Celia said...

Oh no! I am glad that you and baby are okay!!!!

The Randalls said...

I am so glad that you are ok that is so scary. So they don't have any idea what happened? Were you dialating at all? Do they think that this will happen again? Are you on bed rest? I have so many questions! I hope that she stays in for 12 more weeks. I am so happy that you are ok I was so worried. Take it easy.