Thursday, April 02, 2009

Childbirth Classes

We had our second prepared childbirth class on Tuesday night. Here are some of the highlights…

Brandt said if I answered the teacher’s questions I could have some of his Twix bar after class. No one said a word last class so he thought it would be funny if I acted like Hermione. I didn’t exactly shoot my hand in the air, wiggling with excitement at each question but I did answer quite a few. I earned myself half a Twix bar!… which made me feel sick from all the sugar and I never want to eat one again.

We learned about early labor and how that is the longest stage of giving birth. The teacher said you usually stay home for this part. I decided I’m going to get 2 epidurals… One during early labor and one when it gets intense. This is going to be a piece of cake.

Brandt said that I could get Papa Johns during the early labor phase for two reasons… 1. The mean nurses at the hospital won’t let me eat once I’m there so I need to eat before, and 2. It would make me happy, which we’ll both need when I start having pains. Once we were in bed I was thinking about Papa Johns and asked, “What if it’s the middle of the night? Will you make me waffles and a fried egg instead?” He said yes!

Brandt learned lots of different ways to massage my back. I’m so excited for that part.

2 comments:

the fellers said...

oh! I LOVED childbirth class and when Shon learned how to rub my back good...I LOVED it....yeah, the not eating part, especially once you have your epidural, no eating, I hated it...so I got A LOT to eat after I had them...I am so excited for you guys!

Sarah said...

About an hour after Kate was born, I was chowing down on a bean burrito and dr. pepper (my last DP for the next 6 months!). It seems to me that Brandt has figured out the perfect way to bribe you: food!