Saturday, April 18, 2009

Is this what it tatses like?

The taste of sleepless nights?

We will refer to today as still being Friday although it's 5:22am.

I came home from work early today because I was feeling off and after my nap, my neighbor informed me that she was being induced later tonight (1 week early). We had offered to help watch their darling little girl so they can focus on having their darling little boy because we not only adore Lilly, they're our good friends.

I watched her, played with her, fed her a little sandwich made with a little chick cookie cutter, we went on a walk, gave her a bath, read her stories and put her down for the night. After all that, Brandt came home from his trip (with a free round trip ticket for being bumped!).

He slept over there while her parents were at the hospital since one of us needed to and since I have to go to the bathroom during the night and their toilet busted today. I slept alone. I should rephrase that.. I didn't sleep alone because I didn't sleep. I tossed and turned. My thoughts went from one point in the spectrum of weirdness and busyness to the other far end.

Lilly's dad came home around 3:45am and relieved Brandt of his parental duties so he came home and got into bed. I thought this would help but at 5am I gave up. I couldn't stand it anymore. I am up. I've already eaten a bowl of cereal (I was starving) and read through my Google Reader. I refuse to admit that it's really wake time though by putting in my contacts. I'm blind right now.

Is this what it's going to be like being a parent? Waking up when even the sun is still sleeping? Tossing and turning wondering if the child is going to wake up and need you? Who am I kidding? I know it will be. I just wish I could enjoy my last 3 weeks of sleep (which I crave) before I'm up multiple times a night. It's been like this for about a week now.

Luckily, tomorrow is Saturday so I can take a nap if I need to but I'm done trying to sleep and so is this little girl inside me.

****EDITED**** It's now 6:30am and I'm halfway done making homemade cinnamon rolls for our naighbors and Brandt's ultimate frisbee team and all the dishes are done.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Oh man those nights are the worst. Is mom and baby doing ok?

the fellers said...

I have concluded that the Lord had a sense of humor and is very smart. I think he prepares us in these last weeks, so that when the baby comes it is not a shock. The advice I was always given, and scoffed at, but now give it, is sleep when the baby sleeps. The dishes will still be there, the laundry will still be there, but you need to be rested, so you have to take what you can get! And, you sound like you accomplished a lot, I finally learned to embrace those early mornings (ALTHOUGH I HATED THEM....and gritted my teeth the whole time) and got a lot done, cause then I didnt feel guilty taking a nap when the baby was sleeping later that day! I am so excited for you guys, excited to see what little miss looks like! YAY YAY YAY! What a fun fun time for you!

I hope your neighbor and her baby are doing well!

the fellers said...

ok...I totally made like 10 mistakes in that last comment....I didnt mean to say that the baby would be in shock, I meant you....and I didnt think the Lord HAD a sense of humor, I think He HAS a sense of humor...bah...I am sorry!

Sarah said...

I feel your pain. Taylor is sick so I haven't been sleeping well either. I even went to the store at 3:30am in my jammies, glasses, and hair all over the place to grab some medicine. The kid at the check-out counter was amused!