Monday, April 13, 2009

A weekend of sewing

I had Thursday and Friday off last week so I took advantage of the time by sleeping in, running some errands, and sewing. That’s right… sewing! Sometimes I feel very inferior to my sewing machine because I feel like something could go wrong at any moment that I won’t be able to figure out and the project will be ruined. Well, this last week I didn’t let that get to me and I went to Hancock Fabrics to buy the fabrics I needed. They had a great sale (I want to go back and get more).

On Friday I sewed this changing pad cover. No one sells non-contoured changing pad covers so I had to make one. I didn’t have a pattern to go by so it was a little scary but I basically made a long pillowcase with buttons and button holes on the end to keep it from coming off. This was my first time sewing button holes… that was an experience. Overall I think it turned out great. As always there are a couple little mistakes that I’m sure you can’t see but I’ll watch for when I make the second one. What do you think?




On Saturday I made 1.5 baby shoes (I had to finish up the second one on Sunday). I can’t get over how cute they turned out. I can’t believe I made them. I got the idea from Balancing Everything. The pattern/instructions are downloadable and you should totally make them. I used two coordinating fabrics and leather for the bottom. This was the first pattern I’ve ever used so it took a while to get the terminology down. I also only had sew-in interfacing so it took a lot longer than it would have if I had had fusible interfacing. Here’s a pic. I can’t wait to make more and to see them on our little girl.



Now I want to make a grocery bag holder and a few bibs. That’ll probably happen when I’m through with work in two weeks.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the changing table cover. Great job!

the fellers said...

wow, through with work in two weeks.crazy! Ummm, you are a professional, those are SO cute!

Celia said...

WOW!!!! You are talented!! Love them both, changing pad is my fave though!!

AoK Buttons said...

wow you did amazing! those are soooooOo good!

Kristen said...

you amaze me!!