Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Yummy Cheesecake!!

Last week I made a cheesecake (my first cheesecake) from scratch (almost) for a get-together we were having. I used the recipe from Balancing Everything (copied and slightly altered below for your indulgence). I was a little nervous because I compared it to a lot of other recipes and this one was the easiest and less time consuming of all of them. Then I got nervous when I had to add sour cream to it. I mean, what are sour cream and cream cheese doing in the same bowl?

The verdict... It was AMAZING!!! It tasted better than some restaurant purchased cheesecake I've had and it was SO easy to make. You have to try it. This woman was 100% right when she said...

"It is so stinking easy and oh so delicious you’ll want to whip these up every day. But don’t do that because then you’ll have to buy new pants."


Here's how mine turned out. I want to eat it every day but Brandt agrees that I shouldn't...


Recipe for 1 cheesecake:
2, 8 oz. bars of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1/4 + 1/8 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup sour cream
1 prepared graham cracker crust (this is why it’s not completely from scratch)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, vanilla, and cornstarch just until mixed.

Stir in the sour cream (or yogurt) until mixture is well blended.

Pour mixture into prepared crust and bake for 35-40 minutes or until nicely browned on top and center jiggles just a little when shaken. The cheesecake will puff up a bit while baking, but settle again while cooling.

Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Once it has come to room temperature, place in refrigerator until it is chilled and ready to serve.

Topping:
I used… 3 big scoops raspberry jam and one medium scoop of orange juice concentrate. Place in a cup and microwave until melted but not hot. Evenly coat the top of the cheesecake and then top fresh fruit.

Note- Don’t top until you are ready to serve for best results. The cheesecake will keep longer this way.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

yummy I can't wait to try.

Celia said...

This looks very similar to the recipe that I have! I also use almond extract, and a pinch of salt. No cornstarch though.

The homemade cheesecake is most certainly wayyyy better than anything in the store or restaurant.

Send a piece over my way. I want to try! :)

k8e said...

My mouth started watering when I saw this. Looks tasty!

Jessica said...

I'm so glad you tried it! Yours looks fabulous with all that yummy topping!

Kristen said...

OMG - as if I wasn't already so incredibly sad that I had to cancel!!! That looks delicious! We have got to reschedule 8-) Even if there's no cheesecake next time...