Monday, September 21, 2009

Random Comments

Jane and I take about 2 walks a day. One is usually to the produce market and the other is usually to the beach. During these walks and any other time I go out with her we get some really unique people coming up to us and commenting on various baby things. I am going to start posting them here.

Today:
In the produce market a really old (slightly creepy) old woman came up to us. This was our conversation...
Her: "Oh I just HAVE to say how beautiful she is! She is so pretty. Hi there!"
Me: "Thank you"
Her: "What's the beautiful name to go with the face?"
Me: "It's Jane"
Her: (face kind of changes) "Is she malnourished?"
Me: "Oh, no she gets PLENTY of food."
Her: "Well, she is just so pretty."
Me: "Thanks"

This is when I start talking to Jane in a way that lets her know we are going to walk off now because she starts leaning in for the touchy touch.

Last week:
At the park we passed an older hippy/religious man twice. The second time, he got up as we were headed toward him and walked in our direction. I continued walking as he talked to me since he was a little creepy. This was out conversation...
Him: "Looks like you've got a little one. He's very cute."
Me: "Oh, thanks."
Him: "Hi there. What's his name?"
Me: "Actually she's a girl and her name is Jane."
Him: "Well, would you accept a special blessing for her?"
(now passed him walking away)
Me: "Oh, no thank you."
Him: "Well, that's your decision."


A few weeks ago:
A German woman started talking to us as we were waiting for a bus. This is just a small part of our conversation...
Her: "Oh she is so precious. How old is she?"
Me: "Thank you. She's almost 4 months."
Her: "Wow, she's HUGE."
Me: (politely smile)
Her: "Are you breast feeding?"
Me: "Yes I am."
Her: "That's the best way to go you know. That's the best thing for them."

Then she started swearing and talking about how selfish Americans are and how the health care system here stinks.

I'm only getting started... I get some weird ones.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Hahaha this made my day. I remember thinking 'I can't wait to not be pregnant anymore so people don't comment on me'. Little did I know it was just the beginning. We are there with ya, Cristina! Little Jane is soooo cute!

Liz said...

pretty funny stuff what people say. :)

Celia said...

wow. do all "Moms" attract weirdos?