Saturday, October 17, 2015

Wendy in the Windy City!

I love dentist appointments. Not for anything dental related but every time it's time for my 6 month teeth cleaning, I get to take one of my kids on a date downtown and have some fun before and after the dentist. I usually take Jane but Wendy has stopped her mid-day nap since my last visit so I got to take her! I've had to reschedule this appointment many times since August so her and I have been secretly talking about our plans for today and looking forward to it for a long time.

I asked her as we were leaving if I needed to bring the stroller or if she could walk and she said she could walk so I didn't even have to lug around a stroller! Someone is a big girl now! The first thing she said when we got on the train platform was, "We can't go on the blue, that's dangerous!" She's so smart! She rarely rides the train and she remembered me telling the kids that the blue stripe next too the edge of the platform is a dangerous spot and you can't step on it because you could fall off or a train could hit you. She waved to the conductor but he didn't wave back so she was bummed for 2 seconds before we got on the train and then perked right up in awe at her new environment.

First selfie of the date!

We switched seats so she could see better and she did not stop talking and shrieking about everything she saw, "Workers! Grass! Store! Park! We never went to that park before! Let's go to that park! Tractor!..."

Another picture of me and my little date. I love that she wears her headbands like this. Makes her look just like the girl from the Ewok Adventure movie. As we passed the Cubs stadium I showed it to her and she loudly began singing "Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago what do you say-say..." Everyone on the train started smiling.

When we got downtown we went to a donut shop first to get surprise donuts for dad (mainly for surviving the day with the other two kids at home). After we got them we headed to Shake Shack for lunch!

I told her that her job was to watch the buzzer and let me know when it starts flashing. She took that job very seriously and was actually scared when it went off she was paying so much attention!

It was so fun dining with this munckin. She ate a very expensive plain hot dog with no bun and we shared some yummy fries.

I told her we would get to have our shake as soon as she finished so she got down to business and gobbled up the rest of that meat. Ketchup face!

Worth it. Black and White shake! Mmmmmm. Even though it was 30 degrees out, you can't go to Shake Shack and NOT get a shake!

We had to race to the dentist but made it there on time. I carried her part way (which she'd been wanting me to do since we got off the train but I had told her we could just walk slower instead) and mid walk she looked up to me with a big love smile and gave me a sweet kiss. Best part of my day.

She was going to just play on my phone the whole time but the receptionist was so nice and colored with her instead. She made sure to grab a chapstick (my dentist always has them as samples) for her AND Jane on the way out. She wanted to make sure Jane had something fun since she didn't get to come. An hour later we were done with that and on our way to our next adventure! We stopped by the bank to get quarters since we walked right past it (SIX rolls! I don't mess around anymore. Laundry is serious business) and Wendy did the whole transaction herself, earning herself a sucker (and she made sure to ask for one for her sister too).

The plan prior to today was to go to Maggie Daley park but it was a little chilly out so we just went to the Bean instead which was perfect because she didn't remember it. Can you tell she was impressed?

She did this many times to make sure it was real :)

A quick stop in Old Navy where she was enamored with the escalators and then we hopped on the train back home. She waved to the conductor again and he waved back! He doesn't know it but he made her day (more so than anything I'd done with her)! She realized she didn't get to play with my phone at the dentist so I let her on the ride home. Needless to say, that train ride was awfully quiet.

I loved spending time with her. It was so hard to leave my go-to date Jane at home but on the ride home I was thinking about how nice it was to not have to be their referee and to just focus on Wendy who rarely gets to spend time with just me. Can't wait for the next excuse for a date with Wenders!

No comments: