Thursday, August 31, 2017

Stitches Sundays

We moved into our house and decided to start a new tradition. Every two weeks, on Sundays, someone in our family will get some type of stitches. Sounds fun right? J/K it needs to stop. What's even funnier is that on the off Sundays someone is too sick to go to church.

It all started the third Sunday we were in our house. We were just about to leave for Orem for family dinner. I asked Wendy to grab a garbage bag for me when she went inside to change after church. She took forever. Finally she came out quietly sobbing and holding her head. I asked her what was wrong and she said, "I was twirling in the kitchen and hit my head on the (very unforgiving granite) counter." I asked her to show me where it hurts and when she pulled her hand away, blood started pouring everywhere. I grabbed some tissues, applied pressure and ran her inside.

Long story short, it was on the line between tape/glue and stitches so we had our paramedic neighbor come look at it and he patched her up. Wendy was a nightmare. FREAKING out the whole time. It was just taped like a bandaid but she couldn't handle it. 

The next day I took her in to her doctor because we weren't sure if the tape would hold and/or if she did need stitches. They said she needed three stitches but they could also just re-apply the glue and tape. I looked at Wendy and looked at the doctor. I ran the scenario of stitches in my head and finally decided to just glue it. My poor Wendy wouldn't be able to handle all that stitches entailed so I spared her. Good thing because it took four of us just to do the glue and tape because she was flailing and screaming so much. No swimming or splash pads for a week.

2 Sundays later, one of my children was showing Logan a knife while clearing off the table. He grabbed it (like any baby would when shown something) and his sibling (knowing he shouldn't have it) pulled it out of his hand, slicing two fingers, one of which very bad. I knew right away he needed stitches. I made frantic calls to find an open instacare near us and I found one that closed within 10 minutes of me being able to get there. I drove as fast as I could and before even getting Logan out I ran inside to ask if they could help him before they closed. Prayers answered, they could.

He needed three stitches. I held him tight, giving him as much love as I could while three other people did what they needed to do to patch him up. It was the saddest thing. It was also nauseating. I will spare you the details but it was so hard to watch that I slept horribly that night dreaming about blood and gore and I've been there for many sets of stitches as a mom. I think it's just starting to take it's toll.

2 suckers, a bouncy ball (why do doctors give those choking hazards to babies!?), an hour and a half, and two new finger accessaries later we got home to put the poor boy to bed. No swimming or splash pads for a week.

Aaaand, two weeks later I was all proactive about getting ready for church early in the day even though we don't have church until 1pm and as I'm blowdrying my hair Brandt runs in with Boston in his arms to get a towel for HIS injury. Roughhousing near a coffee table doesn't end well.

One look and I knew just where he needed to go. This time I had another adult with me. Yay for Uncle Joshua visiting!

Snapchat filters are the perfect distraction for a hurting three year old. They did 4 staples in the back of his head and no swimming or splash pads for a week. I'm now saving church clothes until right before church to spare the stain treating.

A week later I took him in to get them out. He was a champ for the first one and it got progressively worse for each one after that with me basically having to restrain him at the end.

But, they are out and we are done with that.

While waiting we had some more snapchat fun to distract him. He was laughing so much making videos and these are my favorites:

Two weeks later no one had to get stitches but I had to go to the ER for a ruptured ovarian cyst, kidney stone and bladder infection. But, it wasn't on a Sunday (missed it by 26 hours) so it doesn't count apparently. Have we broken the cycle?!

Yay for meeting our deductible so fast! We are winners!

No comments: